Tuesday 1 October 2013

Getting ready to Dance

Do you remember a few posts back when I said I'd be stepping out of my comfort zone? well I've signed up to do Strictly come Dancing in Tullamore in 4 weeks time. It's to raise money for the town to put in a bid to host the All Ireland Fleadh Ceoil. For those who don't know, the Fleadh, is a basically a competition between traditional Irish musicians and singers, but in reality it is much more. It is a celebration of what makes us unique, and it gathers together every year the best, most skilled and most passionate people who keep our heritage alive. It was a privilege to witness the event a number of years ago, when Tullamore hosted the competition for 3 years, and it really brings the community together. People open their doors to accommodate strangers, who leave as friends, and for one whole week, there is a feel good factor, and sense of excitement and enjoyment, that could only be matched by an appearance in an All Ireland GAA final, which unfortunately hasn't happened too much recently for us Offaly folk! (Last weekend excepted, Congratulations to the Offaly Ladies, for their triumph).

Anyway, we've been learning some moves for the last two weeks, and tonight is the official launch. We'll be expected to perform a group dance in public, at the Tullamore Court Hotel tonight at 9pm. The event is free and open to all, I suggest you come along if you fancy a laugh, but please remember, we're only two weeks into it, I'm sure we'll be a lot better for the big night on the 27th October. The draw will also be taking place so we will find out who our dance partner is going to be. All I can say is, God bless the poor person that gets me. I think my best dance move is when I sit down. I've been looking at some videos of the Strictly Come Dancing that's on TV, and I'm kind of worried. I have as much rhythm as a rock, but I am willing to learn, and work hard. I'm also prepared to make a fool of myself because I think that's more of a probability than a possibility.

What's all this got to do with running, I hear you ask? You're right, maybe I should have posted this under a blog called "Fat Dad Dancing", but I don't think I'd find as much to write about dancing, as I do about running. In order to accommodate the dancing tonight, I went for a run early this morning, I ran the same route as last Saturday, but two min and six seconds quicker. I left at 6:30am,  in the dark and misty morning, and I enjoyed the run. It was good to see people out early, I saw at least 10 people walking at different stages, and I also saw a lad sweeping up leaves on O Moore st. Early mornings mid week, have a different vibe than early mornings at the weekends. When I got home, I saw I'd missed a call from Bubbles last night. He left a message wondering if I'd go for 6 mile run this evening, around 6pm. I would have enjoyed that, because this morning I missed having someone to talk to (or Listen to, in Ray's case!) while I'm running. That shouldn't be a problem when I train with the gang again on Thursday night. So until then, Slán.

No comments:

Post a Comment